Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Annual Freeman Family Trip - To Greece!


















August 7, 2010

21 Freemans travel every summer together for 2 weeks. Given the inevitable dynamics that erupt with 21 family members sharing a home, I’ll have to tread lightly as I write this blog that most of them read (Hi Freemans!). I don’t want our blog to lose its biggest fan base.

We had a day of rest after all the travel to get to Greece. My family woke up at 4am and the rest of the Freemans woke up at 9am, being from different sides of the world. It had been a tough drive to our house. To get to the house, you had to go through windy mountain roads, without many signs telling you which way to go, or else the signs were in Greek, either lowercase or uppercase. But, at the end of the road was paradise with a view – a huge house (usually a hotel) high up on the side of a mountain overlooking the beach, the Island of Evia, and the bay.

I woke up so early that I watched the Greek heroes in constellation disappear and the sun rise. The sunrises were spectacular, with the sun rising over the island mountains. I meditated. I did yoga. Then, I went for a jog. Then I returned and everyone was still asleep. So, I swam. I had a week-long vacation before 9 am.

Then everyone slowly woke, preschoolers and grandmothers first, preteens next, teens last. The parents were forced to wake but weren’t really awake. But, the youngest cousins were charged up and thrilled to see each other after our being away. My kids were especially excited since they’d been deprived of close friendships for 2 months. Swords were wielded. Dump trucks were dumped. Cannonballs were jumped into the pool. They were downright giddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment