Saturday, September 25, 2010

Griffin: Soccer Tournament




September 25, 2010

Griffin:

Hi bloggers! This is Griffin. Today I went to a soccer tournament. There were two kinds of games. One was soccer. Another was called "Net Ball," where you try not to drop the ball. Once you get the ball, you have to freeze and pass it to someone. If you drop the ball, anyone can try and get it. The point of the game is to shoot it in the hoop. At this tournament, the point of the game was to scream when you shot it in the hoop!

Only girls played net ball there because their Muslim parents did not want them to play soccer because they thought soccer was a boys sport.

I got my soccer ball and started kicking it around in a goal. Some kids came over and a few got in the goal and a few got to shoot. I got in the goal with Boom Boom. I think I have an injured wrist from blocking a few balls. And, I learned how to punt about a mile.

I could not communicate with the kids I was playing with. I could tell them but couldn't talk to them. They couldn't say something back to me. When I said something, they would do it. But, I couldn't have a conversation. They come from places all over the world and do not know English. They are refugees. A refugee has no home, he no longer has a country. Most of these people are from Burma where they were treated poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment