Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ken's Soul

Ken here. Today, I sold my soul. Our Indonesian cleaning lady explained to me that there were no fireworks for Malaysian Independence day out of respect for Ramadan. Then, she looked at me and said "You Christian, right?" Time moved like the martial arts fighting in Matrix. What should I say? She's from Indonesia. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world. Didn't they have some bombings by Islamic extremists not too long ago in Indonesia? What if I tell her I'm Jewish and she tells one of her friends and some radical forces her to allow him into our apartment, or access to our kids? She was already fascinated that we're American. "I like American food - pizza, McDonalds, spaghetti."
I had prepared for this day. I had mentioned my concerns to my rabbi and to Griffin's Hebrew school teacher. I had prepped the kids not to mention that they were Jewish to anyone ("But WHY do they hate us, Dad? It's not like we have a gun or anything"). I thought of my own Hebrew school education, and the ethics lessons centered on the choices Jews made during the Holocaust: fight, convert, run - what would you have done? But I was still caught off-guard by the cleaning lady before I had drunk my coffee.
Colleen and I recently found out that the September 11 terrorists had used Malaysia as the primary meeting ground to plot the attack. Somehow, that fact escaped us in all our trip planning.
All this flashed through my mind in about a tenth of a second. "Yes" I replied after slightly too long a pause, sat down with my computer, and continued preparations for my fantasy football draft. -ksf.

5 comments:

  1. Ken,

    I had thought about a moment like this and I guess it was just a matter of time that you would be asked. I think you did the correct thing...although it is not easy for me to say that. I think, sometimes you do things instinctively (but especially as a parent), and then, you must move on...

    Love you guys.

    --Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,

    I am an acquaintance of Colleen. Your comment stirred up my own ambivalence about Malaysians - the intense need to categorize people can be intensely intrusive - at least your maid didn't try to drag you to a church that has "a great preacher." Of course, as an Indonesia she probably wouldn't. You should be able to have a serious, thoughtful discussion about religion with one of Colleen's colleagues, especially ones educated in the West. In October when I see some former colleagues in Penang I will engage them in a conversation about Malaysian's attitudes towards Jews. (I bet it is an easier conversation than asking about gays.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey brudda-I feel your pain and dis-ease with that encounter. It does raise the question 'who am i?' in relative/conventional terms, you may identify with being jewish, or a father, brother, or husband. Maybe you identify yourself as a grandson, or a lawyer-do you? Ultimately the label is just that, you are not the label.
    Love bruddha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, to be honest, I was pretty annoyed reading this. Really? You feel threatened why? Because a) she's Muslim, b) she's Indonesian, c)she's your maid and might know someone who's "dangerous"? d) the world is somehow a dangerous place for Americans? I don't know what you said to Griffin, but the implication that he thinks that Muslims hate Jews is disturbing.

    I think the question of your Jewish identity itself, on the other hand, is a very personal one and deserving of its own introspection. I'd say that it's not related to living in a Muslim majority country, so I'm not clear on your comment that you've sold your soul. By claiming to be a Christian or by claiming something else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kenny, we love you! The good news is that Yom Kippur is coming. A little fasting and atonement and you should be all good. Right?

    Call your friend, he misses you.

    ReplyDelete