Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Griffin's After-School Activities and Hari Raya

September 8, 2010

Griffin's post:

This Monday after school activities started. I have Mandarin on Monday afternoon. Soccer on Tuesday. In-line skating on Wednesday. We have language in regular school, and I go to Mandarin for language during the school day. So, I have 3 Mandarin classes per week.

Soccer is a little weird. Like, I'm not used to it. But it's fun altogether. It's weird because it's a little hard to understand what to do. Everything just happens so fast. There are 30 people in soccer, 4 and 5th graders too. And, some friends to keep me occupied.

I had an in-line skating lesson today. I got on my gear. You need to have elbow gear, hand gear, knee gear. The hand gear has to go right down to half of your forearm. And a helmet. I got all that on. It was a bit hard. I got up then just started skating. It just seemed so easy! Exactly like ice skating. They gave us time to skate around the area. So, I started just pushing off with my feet and then I found out how to turn. I put one foot down and pushed with the other foot. Then I figured out how to stop - I put my feet in an arrow shape and it slows me down and I stop. Then they taught us how to get down and up. You put your knees in a v shape. You put your hands between your knees. You put one foot up then the other. Then there were two classes. Classes for people who knew how to skate and those who didn't know. I was in the class who did know.

It is Hari Raya holiday in two days. That's the end of Ramadhan. The end of Muslim fasting where they celebrate. My friend Widie in my class who rides my bus to school is from Indonesia and is Muslim. He even fasted on his birthday today. His mom would buy something for him for 400 ringitts if he fasted.

So, in a couple days, during Hari Raya holiday, we are flying to see caves in East Malaysia.

Griffin

1 comment:

  1. G, we are so proud of your doing all these new and exciting things - espeicially learning in line skating in one day!! Amazing. What an atlete. And your new friends sound terrific too. Harvey and I are so proud of you and we love reading your blogs - don't stop!!
    love you
    gma

    ReplyDelete