Saturday, November 6, 2010

Soccer with the locals















October 24, 2010

We went to Lake Titiwangsa park, now two times. The first time we were on our way and a woman had some extra roses from an event she hosted, handing them to Alice. We'd heard of the hospitality here but this stopped us in our tracks. Then, we walked into the Titiwangsa (don't laugh!) park and were struck by how many rules there were, including our all-time favorite of no male-female physical contact. The picture makes it look like they are about to kiss. Given the laws against homosexuality here, you'd think they'd also have a picture of no anal sex.

Anyways, you can see that the prohibitory signs and moral police cruising the park with white gloves and whistles quick to blow at any stray touch are having an effect. Note the couple sitting next to each other, almost awkwardly not touching each other. Ken and I restrained ourselves from groping each other.

The second time we went, we played some soccer with just our family, picnicked, then sat in the shade next to the playground, unable to motivate to stay under the sweltering sun for long in the playground. I trailed some couples taking their wedding pictures -- just to show the contrast of the Muslim vs. Indian Malaysian wedding wear.

On our way out, Griffin convinced us, against our wishes, to play one more soccer game in the hot sun. Truth is, Griffin's felt deprived from feeling free to play soccer like he can in Prospect Park. The new management at our high rise have created a lot of resentment among Griffin and his latin soccer playing friends over new rules prohibiting ANY soccer or ball play at our building. It's actually been really demoralizing for Griffin, despite his playing soccer twice a day at his school.

So, we grumbled and grudgingly played again, out of empathy for Griffin. As we dragged ourselves around the concrete soccer field, local boys were slowly circling us on their bikes. Then, they stopped and sat in the shade watch us. After about 10 minutes of watching and conferring, a few came over and asked if they could join the game. Unlike most barely competent American soccer players, all geared up with proper footwear and padding, they wore flip flops, eventually kicking them off to play barefoot. And, they kicked our soccer ass.

Truthfully, they were actually pretty restrained. Almost to the point of elegance. Gently passing the ball to Abraham. Laughing with delight when they were challenged by each other. But, seeing me play did give them pause. I realized they'd never played with a woman before. And, they definitely had to pause and restrategize their goal shots when confronted with me as goalie.

At first, they gently kicked the ball to me, for me to easily block. Soon they playfully double-teamed me, topped with kicking the ball past me by kicking it along the ground, between my feet into the goal. Soon, they were outshooting me with power kicks. Finally, one strong kick glanced the ball off my right breast. I laughed and chased after the ball, returning to find the usual boy giggling laughter completely silent. I watched then realized they were embarrassed and stumped over how to handle having hit a woman's sexual organ with a ball. After a few awkward minutes of silence, the offending boy turned to me, without direct eye contact, and deferentially said "I'm sorry about that."

I then jumped on the opportunity and slammed the ball down to the local boys on my team, to score a goal for our side. I had a blast. So did the rest of us. The boys were shocked again when we asked for a photo with them. They conferred in Bahasa Malay then all put their shirts back on for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment